RADIOACTIVE MATERIALS EXPOSURE LAWYERS IN NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA
Radiation exposure is one type of toxic exposure that can have dire consequences.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, low-level exposure to radiation might not cause immediate health risks, but over a long period of time, individuals may see increased cancer risk. Individuals who are at risk of low-level radiation exposure include workers who are employed in industries where there is a risk of radiation exposure and individuals who live near industrial sites where there may be radiation present in the environment.
What are the signs of radiation exposure? Do you know your risk? Here are some signs and symptoms.
- Acute Radiation Syndrome: According to the Centers for Disease Control, individuals will only experience Acute Radiation Syndrome if their dose and exposure to radioactive materials was very high. Generally, the radiation needs to enter the internal organs and exposure to the radiation must affect the person’s entire body for these symptoms to appear. Individuals might experience nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea in the immediate aftermath of exposure. Days or weeks later individuals might experience loss of appetite, fatigue, fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and even coma. Individuals may show signs of skin damage or hair loss. Others can suffer bone marrow loss due to radiation exposure.
- Cutaneous Radiation Injury: Radiation exposure in high doses can cause skin burns.
- Cancer: Cancer that develops from radiation exposure may not be able to be distinguished from cancer that develops due to other hazards. If you have been exposed to radiation, or if your fetus has been exposed to radiation, it is important that you seek medical attention and are monitored for the development of cancer symptoms.
- Psychological Distress: Exposure to radiation can be psychologically disturbing. Individuals can suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder, or from anxiety or depression. The stress or fear of developing cancer after radiation exposure can be difficult to handle.
If you believe you have been exposed to radiation either at home or on the job, you may have certain rights under the law. Stag Liuzza are radioactive materials lawyers in New Orleans, Louisiana who fight to help victims and families get the justice they may deserve after radiation exposure. Medical costs and long-term care costs for cancer, burns, and other effects of radiation exposure can be high. If you think you may have been affected, contact Stag Liuzza today.
RADIATION EXPOSURE IN NEW ORLEANS
What are some possible vectors for radiation exposure in New Orleans? There are many industries in New Orleans where workers can unwittingly become exposed to radioactive substances. Individuals can become exposed through pipe cleaning jobs, oil field jobs, and construction jobs. In certain industries, workers can become exposed to Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material. These materials are found during oil and gas exploration and production. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, people can encounter these materials through manufacturing, mineral mining, or water processing. The extraction or processing can further concentrate radioactive materials, making exposure even more dangerous. What are some fields where people can become exposed to radioactive materials?
- Gold, silver, zircon, and titanium mining and waste products
- Rare earths mining
- Uranium mining and waste products
- Copper mining and waste products
- Oil and gas production
- Drinking water treatment
- Wastewater treatment
- Fertilizer production and waste
- Certain building materials, like granite
Individuals don’t necessarily have to work in these fields to become exposed to radioactive materials. Sometimes families get exposed when waste enters the water supply or environment. Other times families get exposed when workers bring home radioactive residue on their clothes or bodies. This can happen if a workplace doesn’t have proper containment or cleaning processes to prevent contamination.
If you believe you may have been exposed to radioactive materials at work or at home, you have rights. Stag Liuzza are radioactive materials lawyers in New Orleans, Louisiana who may be able to help you and your family seek damages for your medical costs, lost wages, and pain and suffering damages. Contact us today to learn more.
THE RISKS OF RADON
Another way in which people can become exposed to toxic materials is through exposure to radon. According to the Centers for Disease Control, radon is an odorless gas and it forms when radioactive materials break down in the rocks and soil. Individuals can become exposed to radon in their homes by breathing in this invisible and odorless gas. How can you tell if your home has been contaminated? The only way to know for sure is to get your home tested for radon. There are also resources online. The EPA provides radon maps so that people can see whether their community is at risk.
If you believe you have been exposed to radon due to industrial activities in your area, you may have the right to pursue a toxic materials exposure lawsuit. Stag Liuzza are toxic materials exposure lawyers in New Orleans, Louisiana who may be able to help you seek the damages you may deserve. Contact us today if you or your family have developed symptoms associated with exposure to toxic materials.
TOXIC MATERIALS EXPOSURE IN NEW ORLEANS
There are many vectors by which individuals can become exposed to toxic materials in New Orleans. From the land itself to industry, New Orleans has many areas where people can become exposed to radiation or toxic chemicals. Stag Liuzza are toxic materials exposure lawyers in New Orleans, Louisiana who can take the time to review your case and determine whether industry or neglect may be the result of your exposure. For example, you may have a case if you were exposed on the job, or if you worked around radioactive materials and did not receive proper training. You may also have a case if industries in your area contaminated the water or land. Stag Liuzza understands that when fighting big companies, it can feel like an uphill battle. Companies may have teams of lawyers on their side. You need a toxic tort lawyer on yours. Contact our firm today to learn more and to protect your rights.
We prefer doing to talking (except in court), We take the bull by the horns and give you clear and practical advice. Personal, to the point, and in plain language. Any questions? Feel free to call or to drop by.