Oil and gas injury lawsuits remain a crucial tool in protecting workers’ rights and ensuring that companies operating in the industry are held accountable for safety standards. OSHA reports the oil and gas industry employs more than 450,000 workers. Therefore, the active pursuit of lawsuits by injured workers sends a message to industry that safety is a top priority. This helps to establish accountability and prevent future accidents.
Damages Available to Injured Workers
Legal claims further provide injured workers with financial compensation to take care of them and their families. Some claims may be limited to workers’ compensation. However, many injuries may provide a path for additional money to compensate injured workers. In these lawsuits, workers who have suffered injuries on the job can seek compensation for damages such as medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Some state laws provide punitive damages to penalize reckless oil companies.
Many Oilfield Workers Suffer Injury
Oil and gas industry accidents result in numerous injuries each year. By tracking oil and gas injury statistics, we gain insight into the frequency and causes of these incidents. Statistics provide information for requiring proactive measures to be taken to improve safety for workers in this field:
- The oil and gas industry reports higher rates of workplace injuries than other industries.
- Falls, electrical hazards, and fires and explosions cause most injuries in the oil and gas industry.
- The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reveals a higher than average rate of non-fatal injury and illness cases in the oil and gas extraction industry.
- The hazardous work environment and heavy machinery used in the industry often result in serious injuries.
- Injuries sustained in the high-risk nature of oil and gas work can lead to long-term disabilities for workers.
How Do Oil Workers Seek Money for Injuries?
The legal process involved in pursuing an oil and gas injury lawsuit can be complex, with a range of factors that must be taken into consideration, including:
- What are the facts surrounding the injury?
- Which laws and regulations apply to these facts?
- What potential challenges exist to recover money damages?
However, with the help of experienced attorneys, workers can navigate the process effectively and build a strong case. With the right lawyer, oilfield workers can fight for the compensation they deserve. These lawsuits play an important role in promoting safety in the industry and providing a voice for workers who have suffered harm. By advocating for their rights, workers can help to create a safer and more equitable working environment for everyone employed in the oil and gas industry.